It has been noted by some
doctors that having a
massage a week will
decrease your propensity to illness by as much as as TWO-THIRDS!
Tailored to your specific needs, therapeutic massage can range from a light touch only, relaxing massage to deep tissue sports massage and/or a combination of modalities. Blending of modalities further enhances the healing qualities of massage and can be added based on the therapist's knowledge, training and/or intuition as well as by request. Other blended techniques can include Reiki (energy work), CranioSacral, myofascial release, trigger point therapy, lymphatic drainage, and neuromuscular therapy. Your mental and emotional state may effect the type of massage you prefer on a given day as well as your physical state from session to session. We will strive to tailor your session to meet the unique needs of your mind/body/spirit.
Deep Tissue Massage - A therapeutic massage with deeper pressure techniques.
Massage - An Overview
Massage was once considered to be just pampering for the rich and famous, however, it is now finding enormous popularity among people of all walks of life. Athletes, the home gardener, the over-stressed executive , secretaries, waitresses, laborers, moms, are among the ranks of those receiving relief from day to day stresses of life with massage therapy. Numerous research studies conducted around the world have documented that far beyond simply "feeling good", massage therapy has an impressive range of physical, mental and emotional benefits.
- Reduces effects of stress - Massage has an amazing effect on the body's nervous system. When you receive massage and begin to relax, the parasympathetic nervous system is activated which reverses your body's negative response to stress thus causing your muscles to relax, slows heart rate, lowers blood pressure, and increases circulation. Massage also helps a person to become more body aware bringing attention to areas of tension as they begin to take hold and allowing a person to allow release before it has a negative effect on the body.
- Relaxes tense muscles Stress, injury, poor circulation, overuse, and misuse are just some of the causes of muscle tightness. Chronic muscle tightness can be a precursor to injury as well as an after effect of past injury, cause pain and discomfort as well as restrict your normal range of motion. When left unchecked these conditions affect the body as a whole and can hamper the quality of everyday life. Massage stretches and loosens tight muscles and connective tissue breaking down and preventing further formation of adhesions and freeing up range of motion. Our bodies are held together by connective tissue truly making "everything connected". Tightness in one area can and will cause restriction throughout the body, especially over time.
- Increases circulation Many of us are in jobs that require remaining in the same position for long hours, particularly sitting, leaning, reaching overhead, etc. Muscles become tight from lack of movement and poor posture over long periods of time and the muscle cells cannot hold much fluid nor can the vessels allow much fluid to pass through the muscles. This decreases circulation of blood throughout the body and increases strain on your heart. The most obvious effects of this are experienced as muscle fatigue, swelling and the reduced energy levels. Massage releases contracted muscles and pushes venous blood toward the heart thus easing the strain on the heart. This in turn increases circulation bringing essential nutrients and oxygen to your cells and carrying away metabolic waste products responsible for making you feel sluggish and drained.
- Decreases chronic pain Massage acts in two specific ways to help with chronic pain. The trained touch of a massage therapist activates nerve receptor signals along myelinated fibers to temporarily block chronic pain signals from reaching the brain. Secondly, stimulated release of endorphins (body's natural pain killer) into the brain and nervous system reduce feelings of pain and discomfort without the use of unnatural drugs.
- Strengthens immune system The lymph system is designed to battle and ward off infection and heal injuries of the body. This lymphatic flow is slow in most people, but particularly those with less active lifestyles. While improving circulation, massage also increase lymphatic flow which further helps to "flush" out toxins and waste thus helping your body to fight off infection and speeds up recovery from injury and illness.
- Can improve nerve function Contracted muscles can "pinch" your nerves causing all sorts of symptoms including tingling, numbness and pain. Massage helps to relax these contracted muscles relieving the compression on your nerves. Blood flow is increased and sensory receptors are "awakened" bringing new awareness to areas that previously felt cut off by chronic tension patterns.
- Improves sleep Tension from everyday life can disrupt your sleep and often leaves people falling into bed exhausted at the end of the night only to find that they have "monkey mind", unable to sleep because of the constant chatter accosting them and keeping them from a good night's sleep. Over time, lack of sleep becomes detrimental to health and can even be dangerous when trying to function at your job and day to day activities. Massage relaxes muscles and engages the parasympathetic nervous system causing the body's rhythm to slow down lowering blood pressure and heart rate, allowing for deeper and more rhythmic breathing and priming you for the perfect night's sleep.
- Last, but certainly not least, massage dilates blood capillariesof the skin increasing uptake of vital nutrients for repairing skin and removing harmful toxins derived from such environmental factors as sun and smog as well as poor diet and the natural aging process. These in general all contribute to the gradual loss of youthful characteristics of your skin. The improved circulation from massage helps moisturize your skin improving texture while relieving dryness and itching.
In addition, quality oils such as jojoba nourish the skin helping to maintain elasticity and its youthful appearance along with the infusion of quality essential oils will leave the body feeling truly rejuvenated! So ............... are you ready to pamper yourself?